Many Surface users have reported that the keyboard they use for their tablet, such as a Type Cover, cannot function properly — it cannot respond to their typing or touches.
This is an annoying issue. You may be thinking anxiously what are you supposed to do get your keyboard back to normal.
But not to worry! The problem can be fixed! Here are several methods you should try to fix your Surface keyboard not working issue:
- Reboot your Surface
- Perform a two button shutdown
- Update or reinstall your driver
- Reset your Surface
There may be corruption issues on your operating system that result in your keyboard issue. So you need to reboot your Surface to clear these issues. To do so:
1) Disconnect your Keyboard
2) Reboot your Surface
3) Reconnect your Keyboard.
If this method works for you, you will be able to use your keyboard now.
There may be corruption issues on your hardware of your tablet that lead to your keyboard issue, and a simple restart is not enough to get rid of them. You need to perform a two button shutdown or force a shutdown to turn off your tablet completely.
You can perform a two button shutdown only if you are using a Surface Pro and Surface Book. To do so:
1) Press and hold the power button on the edge of your device for around 30 seconds and then release it.
2) Press and hold the power button and the volume-up (+) button on the edge of your Surface at the same time for about 15 seconds and then release them. (Do NOT let go the buttons when the Surface logo pops up on the screen.)
3) Wait for about 10 seconds.
4) Power on your Surface. If this methods solves your problem, your keyboard will be recovered.
Press and hold the power button of your device and release it after 10 seconds. Then power on your device to see if this method works.
The keyboard of your Surface may fail to work if you are using the wrong keyboard driver or it is out of date. So you should update or reinstall your driver to see if it fixes the problem. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update or reinstall the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can download and install your drivers by using either Free or Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes only 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and Install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and hit the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will scan out problematic drivers on your computer very quickly.
3) Click on the Update button next to your Surface keyboard to download the latest and correct driver for this device. You can also hit Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click on Update All).
You can also use Driver Easy to uninstall drivers (Pro version required). This is useful especially when you are trying to remove any driver causing trouble and reinstall it.
4) Restart your computer and see if this fixes your keyboard.
There may be some faulty files or configurations on your system that cause your keyboard issue. Resetting your device can help you clear these.
1) Go to Start Menu, and select Settings.
2) Select Update & Security.
3) Select Recovery.
4) Click Get started in the Reset this PC section, .
5) Choose either to keep your files and apps or to remove everything. (It is recommended that you choose to keep your files first and see if this resolves your problem. If it doesn’t, do all the steps above again, and then choose to remove everything.)
6) Follow the instructions to reset your Surface.
7) Start your Surface and check if you can use your keyboard again.
My name is PaRa Mu Dita, a web Master, web Developer and Adventurer. Doing work for last 2 years and Running A lot of Techno Sites.